If you are in the market to purchase a home, a real estate agent can be one of your most valuable assets. From the beginnings of the search for your home through the end of your closing, you and your agent will be communicating with each other very frequently. It’s important, then, to find the agent who is the best match for you and your needs.
Tips for Choosing the Perfect Real Estate Agent
- Ask friends and family about their experiences: if you have no idea how to get the ball rolling in your search for a real estate agent, start with recommendations from friends or relatives who have purchased homes recently. You’ll be able to get a feel for what they liked about their agent, along with what they didn’t like. If your friends or family members had a poor experience with a realtor, you might have the same experience too.
- Choose an agent who has experience working with buyers: as you narrow down your search for an agent, you’ll likely find that some agents narrow their focus to either buyers or sellers of property. Make sure that you choose a realtor who has experience representing buyers—while a selling agent may be competent at their job, their experience might be more limited than an agent who works with buyers as well.
- Find a local agent who has a firm grasp on your preferred area: an agent from a different town or other part of the state may not have as much of a grasp on the area in which you are looking to purchase as a local agent would. Look for a local agent who can give you the inside scoop on things like school ratings and morning commutes.
- Ask how many clients the agent is currently working with: as you search for your home, there will be many instances in which you need to call your real estate agent. Make sure that your agent has time to work with you—if they have too many clients to handle, your search for a home may fall to the wayside.
- Trust your gut: while the tips outlined above can help weed out agents that might not work best for you, it’s also important to trust your instinct. If you get the feeling that the agent is the right one for you—or just the opposite—then you’re probably right.
Purchasing a Home? We’re Here to Help
If you’ve found the perfect home in South Carolina and are ready to take the next step toward homeownership, the Boger Law Firm is standing by to assist you. With over four decades of combined experience and tens of thousands of loans closed, the Boger law firm is ready to provide you with competent representation for one of the most important investments you will make. To learn more about the closing process, or to schedule your upcoming closing, call (803) 252-2880 today.